Saturday, April 22, 2017

Fighting For Hope

Some weeks it rains. Some weeks it pours. And some weeks it feels like we're standing under Niagra Falls. This is one of those weeks. I'm sick as a dog, my hubby's sick as a dog, and we have a sick dog. Thanks to a wicked head cold, I'm missing my niece's bachelorette party in Vegas this weekend, and I can't feed the babies in the NICU this week. The list goes on, right?

But the truth is that no downpour is permanent. Life's rhythm promises that nothing lasts forever, including pain. No matter what we're facing, it's only temporary. 

That's the beauty of hope.

Sometimes our burdens cast shadows so large that they appear to block all hope. But hope is clever, and can disguise itself when needed. But it's still there—all we need to do is look for it.

Today, I see hope in the sun as it bursts between the clouds. I hear hope in the singsong of the birds looking for a mate. I touch hope when I stroke the soft billowy fur of our beloved Capo, or my hubby's strong arms wrapped lovingly around me. I smell hope in the fragrant alyssums, a flower I plant every spring in memory of my Alyssa. I taste hope in the juicy Honeycrisp apple I eat every day (or the Starbucks frappuccino every afternoon).

Yes, hope is always there. Sometimes we just have to fight to find it. XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment